Allergy to animals – what provokes it and how to cope with its manifestations?
WHAT CAUSES AN ALLERGY ON ANIMALS?
Almost everyone has experienced a situation when a child asks you to give him a kitten or puppy. You would happily agree if it weren’t for her… Allergy.
It is called a wool allergy, but it is not entirely true. Allergens are found in biological tissues of animals, in saliva, in dandruff. It is an animal protein that is the main allergen . Animal hygiene procedures (licking scratches, washing) form a thin layer of saliva, which dries and mixes with household dust. Then it enters the respiratory tract, is not perceived by the human body, which in turn causes the release of histamine into the blood, as a protective reaction.
ALLERGY TO ANIMAL PROTEIN IS PRIMALLY A GENETIC FEATURE. IF ONE OF THE PARENTS HAS INCREASED SENSITIVITY TO ANIMAL ALLERGENS, THEN THE CHILDREN WILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.
You already understood that it is biological fluids that cause allergies, and not wool. Therefore, getting a short-haired dog or a kitten of the Canadian Sphynx breed is not an option.
ACTION PLAN IF AN ALLERGY TO AN ANIMAL IS SUSPECTED
If you have already got a pet, and noticed that your child has bouts of annoying coughing, shortness of breath , tearing, itching and swollen reddened eyes in the morning, then you are allergic to a pet.
DESPITE THAT SENSITIVITY TO ANIMAL PROTEIN IS A GENETIC FEATURE, IT CAN BE SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED BY OBSERVING THE RULES OF HYGIENE.
1. Consult a doctor. Make allergy tests and find out the nature of the allergy.
2. Do not keep pets in the house.
3. Replace feather pillows with hypoallergenic ones, or just regular ones with silicone filling.
4. Use blankets and mattresses with hypoallergenic filling and clean them at least once every six months.
5. Remove long pile carpets from the floors, replace them with easy-to- clean ones .
6. Soft toys also have no place in your home.
7. Do a daily wet cleaning. It is advisable to clean the surfaces of sofas and beds with a vacuum cleaner with an aquafilter once a week.
8. Provide free air circulation in the house. Ventilate more often.
9. Take care of the children’s diet in nutrition.
Even during the “rest” period, allergic children are not recommended to eat cheese, beef sausage, sauerkraut, canned food, smoked meats. These foods are high in histamine.
Don’t use hot spices. Limit salt intake, because it retains fluid in the body and creates all the conditions for the development of edema in the respiratory tissues.
Also study the composition of the products in the store and feel free to refuse those that contain tetrazine . This food coloring is yellow and easily causes choking attacks.
10. Make sure that sour-milk products, vegetable cream soups, baked meat, less often cereals and cereals predominate in the children’s diet. You can also eat eggs, butter, berries, fruits, compotes and fresh juices without sugar.
11. Steam, bake, boil, but don’t fry.
Even after isolating a four-legged friend, allergy symptoms can appear for up to six months, causing distress to the child. If the symptoms are not stopped in a timely manner, this can lead to bronchial asthma. Therefore, relieve the load on the child’s airways. Follow the rules of care. [2.3]
RULES OF HOUSEHOLDING WITH A PET IF THERE IS AN ALLERGY TO THE ANIMAL
IF THERE IS NO POSSIBILITY TO SAY FAREWELL TO THE LITTLE TAIL, THEN TRY TO STRENGTHEN THE SECURITY MEASURES. NAMELY:
1. Teach your pet that there is a restricted area in the house, that is, a room where he cannot enter.
2. Do not let your pet run and sleep on sofas, beds, chairs.
3. Bathe the animal with special products once a week, and hygiene procedures (washing, washing paws, cleaning ears) daily.
4. Use vacuum cleaner filters that trap allergens.
5. Wash the place where the dog or cat sleeps regularly and thoroughly with products containing chlorine. Wash and wash rugs and toys at least once a week.
In parallel, it is recommended to be under medical supervision and, if necessary, undergo a course of treatment.
ANIMAL ALLERGY TREATMENT
Depending on the severity of the methods of treatment, subject to mandatory consultation with a doctor , may be as follows:
1. Use of antihistamines. Tablets, nasal sprays, ointments, topical creams.
2. In severe cases, corticosteroids are used. Hormones that control the immune system, blood glucose levels, as well as carbohydrate, protein and water-salt metabolism.
3. Animal allergy is best treated with immunotherapy. This is the introduction of small doses of an allergen under the skin, which leads to the generation of antibodies by the body and eliminates allergy symptoms for a long time.
However, if your family has an allergy to animals, it is not recommended to have pets in the house. This applies not only to cats and dogs, but also to parrots and rodents. Because if the precautionary measures do not help you and the treatment is useless, you still have to give the child’s pet into good hands, and another problem will arise – a psychological one. Consequently, together with the child, you will be forced to overcome another unpleasant consequence.
Weigh your decisions well and be healthy.